ABOUT THE AUTHOR
I am Ashlee and, to (sort-of) quote Gandhi, I wear the change I want to see in the world.
I discover and write about Fairtrade fashion – as well as beauty, home style, food and drink, gifts. On One Fair Day you’ll find details that are aesthetically beautiful and also morally beautiful; the type of things that create a beautiful life and also help make a beautiful world. I also share snippets of my daily life and tips from my travels to more than forty countries around the world.
How did I start shopping ethically?
Once, in the not-so-distant past, I was on a fast fashion treadmill but I never felt particular fulfilled or stylish. I never spent more than $30 on a piece of clothing or shoes so I could buy more items – and yet I constantly complained that I didn’t have anything to wear.
Separately, I was working for the anti-poverty not-for-profit organisation, The Global Poverty Project, and was being confronted by the cold, hard truth that my purchasing practices were harming the very same vulernable, poverty-stricken people I was purporting to help through my career. I knew something had to change if I was going to live a life that was consistent with my values and so, very reluctantly, I started to shop ethically. Check out the Ethical 101 series for more information on what I mean by ‘ethical’.
Soon after, I developed a passionate love for ethical fashion with the realisation that buying from companies that help, not hinder, the progress of the people that make their products is one of the easiest – and most stylish – ways to do good in everyday life. There was also a bunch of unexpected benefits from shopping more slowly, ethically and consciously. Trying to live an ethical lifestyle has brought so much joy and contentment into my life – not to mention a much stronger sense of personal style. I’ve never looked back.
A little more about me: I love travelling, goal-setting, online shopping, and drinking Fairtrade tea, preferably at the same time. Oh, and you only have to follow me on Instagram, to know that I’m very easily excited by a beautiful sky.
My other work:
- I received a double degree in Law and International Relations from the University of Western Australia in 2013 and a Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice from Australian National University in 2014.
- In 2014, I was named runner-up Fairtrade Supporter of the Year.
- Since 2015, I have worked as a lawyer providing legal advice to government on international trade and environment law.
- I am a contributor for Good On You. I encourage you to download the free app to see how the brands you love are tracking on the issues you care about.
- My published work includes So You Want to Be a Leader? edited by Philip Crisp, and the Australian Yearbook of International Law.
THANK YOU so much for your readership and your support!