Fi is after some silver sleepers that don’t irritate her ears and are made ethically.
One of the first things I do when I try to find an ethical substitution is think about that item’s particular qualities. Later, if I’m getting stuck and ‘fairtrade silver sleeper earrings’ isn’t yielding any results, I can use those qualities to change the terms of my Google search.
What are the main qualities of ethical silver sleepers? Well you have to sleep in them, so they must be:
- Comfortable, without any bumps or hinges (possible search terms: simple, endless hoops, continuous hoops)
- Delicate (anything delicate will usually respond to the search term ‘handmade’ or be available on Etsy)
- Ethical (I tried my usual combinations of ‘ethical’, ‘fairtrade’, ‘fair trade’ and searches for possible jewellery companies with ‘fairtrade silver’)
Plus, Fi wanted a pair of earrings that wouldn’t irritate her ears, so they had to be quality silver.
Lastly, I knew that silver sleepers usually retail for between $20.00 and $50.00AUD, so I needed to find options in that price range.
1. Novica Minimalist Cycle Artisan Crafted Sterling Silver Hoop Earrings for $22.99USD / 2. Novica Spin Me Fair Trade Sterling Silver Hoop Earrings (Medium) for $40.99USD / 3. Argentium Silver Sleeper Hoops, 20 Gauge Earrings from Etsy for $43.53AUD
1. Novica Minimalist Cycle Artisan Crafted Sterling Silver Hoop Earrings for $22.99USD (on sale from $48.95)
A pair of simple, small sleeper earrings, made from .925 Sterling silver.
Ethical credentials: Handmade with transparency in Thailand
2. Novica Spin Me Fair Trade Sterling Silver Hoop Earrings (Medium) for $40.99USD (on sale from $66.95)
A pair of medium-size sleeper earrings made from .925 Sterling silver. The graduated size (thicker on one side of the hoop) makes this pair a little more interesting than your regular silver sleepers.
Ethical credentials: Handmade with transparency in Indonesia
This pair also has a graduated thickness that makes them a little more interesting, and are made from Argentium silver (92.5% silver + 7.5% copper).
Ethical credentials: Handmade with transparency
Fi, I hope these options help! Thank you for tagging me to #MAKETHISFAIRTRADE.
Have you seen something you want to buy, but isn’t ethical? I’ll find you an equivalent!