Another Fairtrade banana recipe in celebration of Fairtrade Fortnight. I made this tonight for a special dessert on my Mum’s last night visiting me here in Canberra.
INGREDIENTS (serves 12)
- 2 Fairtrade bananas
- 1/2 cup oats
- ½ cup oat flour (simple to make – grind oats in a blender until they reach a flour-like consistency)
- 2 Tbs sweetener (Fairtrade honey or coconut syrup or maple syrup)
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 2 tsp of lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Fairtrade vanilla extract
- 1 Tbs of Fair Trade coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/4 Fairtrade pitted dates, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Fairtrade cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- In a small bowl, mix the lemon juice, honey and vanilla essence.
- Chop bananas into small circles and coat them in the lemon/honey/vanilla mixture.
- Put the banana pieces into a baking dish and arrange them so that they line the base.
- In a separate bowl, mix the oats, oat flour, milk, salt, coconut stuff (milk, oil, and desiccated coconut) and chopped dates.
- Spoon the mixture over the banana pieces and smooth with the back of a spoon.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Cook for 40 minutes or until golden and lovely.
Serve with yogurt (caramelised fig is a good choice) or Fairtrade icecream!
Ashlee, in solidarity with Foncho