Like the Fairtrade banana icecream recipe I shared recently, this recipe is a very simple but delicious way to use ripe Fairtrade bananas. This recipe is also a great foundation for adding all sorts of weird and wonderful things that change the flavour and add nutrients.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 serve)
- Fairtrade banana (the riper it is, the sweeter the smoothie)
- 1 teaspoon Fairtrade vanilla essence
- 2 cups of milk of your choice (cow’s, almond, soy… I like almond and soy for a nuttier flavour)
- 1/2 teaspoon of fair trade maca root powder (1 tablespoon malt powder also works if you don’t have maca root powder)
Weird and wonderful additions
Try adding one of the below to the above recipe… or try adding several of these in combination, however I can’t guarantee the results! ;)
- Fairtrade drinking chocolate/cacao powder/cacao nibs
- 2 cups spinach (you can barely taste it!)
- 3 or 4 Fairtrade pitted dates
- 1/4 cup oats or 1-2 Weetbix
- 1/2 cup of any kind of berries
- 1/2 cup dessicated coconut
- 1/2 cup of Fairtrade tea (drop a bag of Fairtrade tea in 1/2 cup boiling water, and let cool): try Fairtrade chai tea, Fairtrade chai/coconut tea or Fairtrade malty assam tea
- If you like your smoothies on the colder side, peel and freeze the banana.
- Chop the banana into small pieces and throw it in the blender with the other ingredients.
- Blend for 30 seconds or until creamy and frothy.
- Drink straight away… enjoy!
Ashlee (in solidarity with Foncho)